What Causes Thinning Hair
The average guy is born with 100,000 hair follicles on his head. This hair follicle count remains consistent throughout life.
What doesn’t always stay the same, however, is hair health and how much hair thins over time. Hair follicles can also stop growing hair, or simply shed more throughout each day.
A typical person sheds about 50 to 100 hairs daily, and anything beyond that can be defined as excessive hair loss.
Anagen stage: The strand of hair is actively growing. This generally lasts two to six years.
Catagen stage: During this roughly three-week transition phase, the hair strand stops growing and is getting ready to shed.
Telogen stage: The strand of hair is expelled from the follicle. After the hair sheds, the follicle remains dormant for about three months before sprouting its next strand of hair.
Male pattern hair loss is often caused by genetics, habits, other health conditions or a combination of all of the above. The most common causes of hair thinning among men include:
Over-treating hair, using harsh products or washing hair too often
Wearing tight buns or hats
Not eating a well-balanced diet, which includes enough iron, folic acid and other minerals that fuel normal follicle growth
Chronic stress, which can cause cortisol levels to spike, and lead to extra hair loss
Fast weight loss, or about 20 pounds or more in a few months
How A Dermatologist Can Help With Hair Loss
If you want to do something about hair loss, making an appointment to see a dermatologist can be a great place to start. A dermatologist can tell you what type of hair loss you have. This is important because different types of hair loss require different treatments.
A dermatologist can also tell you what results you can expect from treatment. If you want to treat the hair loss, a dermatologist can talk with you about options that will help you see the most improvement.
Related AAD resources
ReferencesAdil A, Godwin M. The effectiveness of treatments for androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 77:136-141.e5.
American Academy of Dermatology. Research demonstrates potential of platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair loss. News release issued March 1, 2019. Last accessed May 17, 2021.
Avci P, Gupta GK, et al. Low-level laser therapy for treatment of hair loss. Lasers Surg Med. 2014 46:144-51.
Basaria S, Jasuja R, et al. Characteristics of men who report persistent sexual symptoms after finasteride use for hair loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016 101:4669-80.
Irwig MS. Depressive symptoms and suicidal thoughts among former users of finasteride with persistent sexual side effects. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012 73:1220-3.
Lee SW, Juhasz M, et al. A systematic review of topical finasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men and women. J Drugs Dermatol. 2018 Apr 1 17:457-63.
How To Fix Mens Thinning Hair Naturally
There are a few certainties in life: traffic jams, a demanding boss, and annoying in-laws just to name a few.
And for many men, there’s another guarantee that’s high on the ‘frustration scale’: men’s thinning hair and male hair loss.
Even though it’s natural for our hair to become thinner – and eventually fall out – this doesn’t mean you have to live with it. Yes, there’s always the option to rock the bald look , but that seems like a pretty drastic step, doesn’t it?
While there’s no denying that a bald head can look pretty badass, what if you’re not ready to unpack the clippers and shave off the last of your locks? Thankfully, there are ways you can fix thinning hair naturally. And no, we’re not talking about hair transplant surgery or chemical treatments that fry your scalp.
This article looks at what causes men’s thinning hair and baldness – as well as how you can grow back your mane naturally.
Read Also: How To Cure Alopecia Hair Loss
The Balding Crown: An Early Sign Of Male Pattern Baldness
When youre young, you feel invincible. You take your hair for granted wearing it long or styling it freely. And, in the joys of youth, youd never think your hairs days are numbered.
The tragic thing is that, for the majority of us men, a full head of hair doesnt last forever. And the first signs of balding inevitably come as a shock. Its usually a receding hairline, or thinning hair across the whole scalp. Yet, theres another early sign of balding that can be really traumatic. Thats the bald spot.
In this article, well talk you through some of the early signs of the balding crown as well as a couple of steps you can take to manage it. We know you might not feel its the best look, but its not the end of the world. With effective hair loss treatments out there, you can regain that youthful confidence.
At Home You Can Adopt Some Home Remedies Like
- An amla and lime juice mix. Apply a smooth mix of amla powder and lime juice on the scalp and hair. Leave until it dries. Wash and condition normally. Use this once a week.
- Egg yolk mask: Wish an egg yolk well. Apply and scalp and leave for 30 minutes. Wash with strong shampoo and conditioner . the proteins peptides in egg help with hair loss. You can use this once a week.
- Massaging your scalp with warm coconut oil/ green tea once a week also helps in scalp stimulation and prevents hair fall.
- Make a hair mask using ½ cup of coconut milk and 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Massage this mix on your scalp starting from roots and going to the ends. Cover the hair with a shower cap for about 15 mins. Shampoo normally.
- A vitamin E hair mask using 2 vitamin E capsules, 1-1 teaspoon of almond and coconut oil, and a few drops of essential oil will help nourish the hair and reduce breakage.
- There are other things to do at home too such as not washing your hair too often, keeping your scalp sweat free, avoid using hair dryers and limit hair colouring. Hair thinning can be successful covered and treated and all you need to do is to take care of your hair and follow the dermatologists advice.
You May Like: Does Obinutuzumab Cause Hair Loss
Causes And Risk Factors For Thinning Hair
As your hair continues to thin, you probably want to ask, or even scream, Why is my hair falling out?! Its a very frustrating and often bewildering occurrence when the hair thins. According to Mayo Clinic, the exact cause of abnormal hair loss is not completely clear, but typically its related to one or more of the following:
- Physical or emotional shock
- Excessive hair styling and/or hair treatments
The No. 1 reason why both men and women experience excessive hair thinning and hair loss is hereditary. For men, its a more well-known phenomenon called male-pattern baldness, but women can also exhibit female-pattern baldness. Both of these predictable, gradual hair loss patterns are linked with a family history of hair loss. For men, it can start as early as puberty. In addition to thinning hair, men may also notice their hair becoming shorter, softer and finer.
2. Hormonal Imbalances
Hormone imbalances and changes can contribute to thinning hair. Some hormone changes are temporary, like with pregnancy or menopause, and hair thinning or loss resulting from these temporary changes should be temporary as well. However, if you have an ongoing imbalance of hormones, you may have a thyroid problem that needs to be corrected.
3. Thyroid Problems and Other Medical Conditions
Many different types of medicines may contribute to hair thinning, including some of the following types of medications:
- Acne medications
- Thyroid medications
How To Treat Thinning Hair
This article was medically reviewed by Courtney Foster. Courtney Foster is a Licensed Cosmetologist, Certified Hair Loss Practitioner, and Cosmetology Educator based out of New York City. Courtney runs Courtney Foster Beauty, LLC and her work has been featured on The Wendy Williams Show, Good Morning America, The Today Show, The Late Show with David Letterman, and in East/West Magazine. She received her Cosmetology License from the State of New York after training at the Empire Beauty School – Manhattan.There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article received 16 testimonials and 100% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,556,402 times.
Thinning hair can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress or hormonal issues. If your hair is thinning, do not fret. There are a number of things you can do to treat thinning hair, such as changing your hairstyle, using gentle hair products, and eating more protein and omega-3s.
Also Check: What To Do With Thinning Hair Male
Can Thinning Hair Be Restored With Essential Oils
Essential oils are no longer reserved for hippies and your alternative cousin. They’ve seen a recent spike in popularity, with people worldwide seeking alternative treatments for various conditions. And this includes thinning hair and male baldness.
Essential oils are gently massaged into the scalp for several minutes. The mixture should be kept on the scalp for as long as possible before shampooing for best results.
Some of the essential oils frequently used for hair loss treatment include:
Before applying the oil to your scalp, dilute it with a carrier oil and do a patch test to check that you’re not allergic. You can do this by putting a small drop on your skin, waiting 24 hours, and monitoring for any adverse reactions.
Supplements To Support Hair Growth
Like every part of your body, hair needs a variety of nutrients to grow and stay healthy.
If you’re not consuming enough vitamins and minerals in your diet, supplements can help to restore your hair naturally.
These supplements include:
- Vitamin A: All cells need vitamin A for growth. This includes hair, which happens to be the fastest-growing tissue in the human body. Vitamin A also helps skin glands make an oily substance called sebum, which moisturizes the scalp and helps to keep hair healthy.
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant that helps protect against the oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which can block hair growth and cause your hair to age. Your body also needs vitamin C to create a protein known as collagen, an essential part of your hair’s structure.
- B-Vitamins: Helps create red blood cells, which carry oxygen and nutrients to the scalp and hair follicles. One of the best-known vitamins for hair growth is a B-vitamin called biotin, with studies linking biotin deficiency with hair loss.
- Zinc: Plays a vital role in hair tissue growth and repair. It also helps keep the oil glands around the follicles working properly. Studies show zinc supplements reduce hair loss caused by zinc deficiency.
Read Also: Who Can I Talk To About Hair Loss
Expert And Celebrity Advice On Thinning Hair
If you’re worried about your rate of hair growth or thinning hair, there’s plenty of advice from dermatologists to scientists to Hollywood celebrities that is likely to resonate with you. Below are five of favourites, each armed to the teeth with expert advice, anecdotal tips and real-world stories.
The Most Aggressive Home Treatment Plan
If you want a comprehensive regrowth plan that doesnt involve surgery, we recommend combining three treatments: Keeps finasteride + minoxidil and the HairClub Laser Band 82.
Several studies suggest that using finasteride and minoxidil together has a synergistic effect without any additional adverse reactions. Because minoxidil and laser treatments can each have mild skin-related side effects on the scalp, you could reasonably worry that combining those treatments would double your risk of such a reaction. Fortunately, another study shows that combining minoxidil with laser treatments is safe and effective, with no apparent uptick in side effects and a noticeable increase in the speed of treatment.
Using all three simultaneously should deliver the most dramatic results on a slightly accelerated timeline.
The only real downside to this approach is that you may never know which treatment or combination of treatments is helping you most. Unless you want to risk your progress by using an experimental process of elimination, youll have to continue with what might be a hefty investment over time.
Don’t Miss: What Is Roman For Hair Loss
Analyzing The Price And Our Recommendation
The main downside of LLLT devices is a high up-front cost. The average price of the devices we recommend here is just over $1,300. However, if you have the capital, its likely worth it, especially considering that a laser device can save you money over time compared to minoxidil, a treatment with comparable effectiveness in many studies.
Suppose you opt for minoxidil and stay on the treatment for 45 years. At $10/month from Keeps the least expensive source thats $5,400. And thats not anticipating inflation. If you purchase the Capillus Plus, itll cost you $1,699 and no more.
Of course, the warranty on a Capillus Plus is just two years, and theres no guarantee it will last longer than that. Still, the company makes them in the USA, and laser diodes with consistent, reliable wavelengths are pretty durable in and of themselves. So, if you think laser treatments might be right for you and you take good care of your belongings, this might be the way to go.
How To Fix A Receding Hairline
Unfortunately, you cant control where your body starts to lose its hair. Thats up to DHT , the hormone behind if and where your body will start to shed its hair.
However, certain habits may help stave off male-pattern baldness and the subsequently receding hairline:
- Protein affects keratin, the protein key to thicker hair growth. Although its not an absolute correlation, individuals with low-protein diets tend to have finer hair.
- B vitamins, zinc, iron, and silica also affect hair heath, especially Vitamin B12. Generally, youll see vegetarians who are often deficient in this vitamin with thinner, finer hair.
- Addressing dandruff isnt just for appearances. Rather, many men who live with male-pattern baldness also have dandruff both symptoms of an unhealthy scalp. Thus, dealing with this issue can clean up the scaling that may permanently damage hair follicles.
Recommended Reading: How To Reverse Dht Hair Loss