What Are The Myths About Hair Loss
Myths about hair loss are widespread. Nothing in the following list is true:
- Youre losing hair because you shampoo it too much, or because youve colored it or gotten a perm.
- Dandruff causes permanent hair loss in women.
- Stress causes permanent hair loss in women.
- If you shave your head, your hair will grow back twice as thick.
- If you stand on your head youll increase circulation, stimulating hair growth.
- If you brush your hair 100 strokes a day that will make your hair healthier.
- Hats and wigs cause hair loss in women.
- Hair loss only affects intellectual women.
What Are The Cycles Of Hair Growth
Hair goes through three cycles:
- The anagen phase can last from two years to eight years. This phase generally refers to about 85% to 90% of the hair on your head.
- The catagen phase is the time that hair follicles shrink and takes about two to three weeks.
- The telogen phase takes about two to four months. At the end of this phase, the hair falls out.
Your shorter hairs like eyelashes, arm and leg hair and eyebrows have a short anagen phase about one month. Your scalp hair can last up to six years or even longer.
Read Also: How To Stop Hair Loss Early
Do Hair Strengthening Herbal Cures Work
Do hair strengthening cure and similar applications really work? The answer to this question is often asked. It is possible to say that some natural cures are strong in strengthening the hair. In addition to cures, there are also some effective steps you can take to strengthen your weak hair. Considering these steps, which we will explain shortly, you can get a permanent answer to the question of How to stop hair thinning. If you want your hair to be thick, strong and voluminous, it is useful to pay attention to the following
You can achieve strong hair by adopting the habit of healthy eating and at the same time avoiding stress as much as possible. You can be a reminder by constantly suggesting yourself on this subject.
Everyones natural hair structure is different from each other. If you know the natural structure of your hair and use products suitable for it, you will ensure that your hair is strengthened and not damaged.
Let your hair lubricate a little naturally instead of washing it every day. Do not forget that oiling the hair is also very necessary for your hair health.
Definitely try to keep high heat treatments away from your hair as much as possible.
If you are asking how to stop thinning hair, help your hair by using care masks, cures, herbal oils and shampoos that will make your hair healthy.
Don’t Miss: Can Too Much Protein Cause Hair Loss
Your Questions About Sudden Hair Loss
To help with your day-to-day problems, we put our scientific expertise at your disposal.
Opt for a shorter haircut, as this always makes the sparse areas seem less obvious.For women, an above-the-shoulder cut gives an impression of volume.For men, wearing your hair very short is a good solution because it minimizes the difference between the areas with and without hair, making the thinning areas are less obvious.If you have any questions, speak to a hairdresser who will be able to help.If the hair loss is only mild, wearing a hat, scarf, or other hair accessory can be a good way to camouflage the thinning area.
Yes, that is absolutely correct. Massaging the scalp activates the local microcirculation and helps supply the nutrients needed for strong hair growth.Try COMPLEXE 5 Regenerating plant extract and give yourself a massage. It promotes well-being and relaxation and is a wonderful tonic and stimulant for the scalp.
No, wearing a cap or a hat does not encourage hair loss. However, if it is very tight or you wear it very often and it rubs the same parts of your head, it can cause the hair to thin or break.
Not at all. Brushing helps remove hair that has already died, and any dust and dirt. However, it does not aggravate hair loss on the contrary, it is beneficial for the scalp because it aerates and volumizes the hair.
EFFECTS OF LIFESTYLE
Stress And Female Hair Loss: What You Need To Know
Feeling stressed? According to data from the American Psychological Association, Americans are feeling more stressed than ever.
Stress can originate from a variety of sources. A difficult personal life, challenging job or tough financial situation can all cause and worsen stress, lead to symptoms ranging from insomnia and fatigue to headaches, aches, pains and a weakened immune system. Hopefully, you are doing all you can to overcome stress by engaging with essential wellness resources. Managing stress is different for everyone so be patient with yourself as you find what works for you.
Physical stress is one of several factors that can contribute to hair certain types of hair loss. If youre feeling overly stressed, its possible that you might notice your hair starting to fall out and thin, even if youre not genetically prone to female hair loss.
Below, weve explained how stress can affect your hair health, as well as what you can do to treat hair loss from stress. Weve also listed other potential causes of hair loss in women that are easy to mistake for stress-induced hair loss.
Also Check: Does Head And Shoulders Cause Hair Loss
How Is Hair Loss In Women Treated What Medicines Or Supplements May Help
Treatment depends on the cause of your hair loss.
- In cases where the loss is due to stress or hormone changes like pregnancy, there might be no treatment needed. The hair loss will stop after a period of time.
- In cases of hair loss being due to hair styling practices, like tight braids or ponytails or certain chemicals, treatment means not doing the things that caused the damage.
- In cases due to nutritional deficiencies, you might be told to take supplements. For instance, you might be told to take a multivitamin and three to five milligrams of biotin daily.
- Minoxidil is approved for treating FPHL. The 2% or 5% solution can be purchased in stores. However, you have to follow directions exactly and use the product indefinitely. Dont use this product if youre pregnant, if you plan to get pregnant, or if youre breastfeeding.
- The HairMax Lasercomb® low light laser is approved by the US FDA to treat FPHL. Another FDA-approved laser product is the Theradome LH80 PRO® helmet and low light laser helmets and caps.
Other medications that have been studied, but not approved, for hair loss in women include:
- Spironolactone and other anti-androgens.
- Other light treatments.
It is important to note that premenopausal women should not take medications for hair loss treatment without using contraception. Many drugs, including minoxidil and finasteride, are not safe for pregnant women or women who want to get pregnant.
What Is Not Considered Hair Loss
According to the American Academy of Dermatologists, it is normal to lose 100 strands of hair per day.
Shedding some of your hair is part of your hair growth cycle. And since there are more than 100,000 hair follicles, it does not make any difference in appearance.
However, each person is unique and should be personally examined to find out whether their hair loss is normal or not.
Better safe than sorry, right?
Also Check: What To Use For Thinning Hair For Women
Can Stress Cause Hair Loss And Will It Grow Back
Stress is well known to cause hair loss. However, this hair loss is unlikely to be permanent and will grow back. The hair should start to grow back roughly 6 months after the stress has resolved.
It is important to distinguish between physical and emotional stress when it comes to hair loss. While both can cause hair loss, physical stress can often be quicker to address and fix than emotional causes of stress. Physical stress can include severe illnesses, childbirth and extreme changes to diets.
Will It Grow Back
In most cases, thankfully, yes. Telogen effluvium is often a temporary thing, Rieder says. The vast majority of cases will resolve within a few months purely on their own. In the case of alopecia areata, says Wechsler, steroid injections are often prescribed. The effects of the injection typically last a month, and then Ill bring a patient back in for another roundit usually takes several, she explains. In both conditions, topical minoxidil, a commonly used hair loss medication, probably wont do a thing. So pass on the Rogaine.
You May Like: Does Donating Plasma Cause Hair Loss
Why Does Stress Cause Hair Loss
Stress is one of the most common causes of Telogen Effluvium. This is because when we are stressed, we often do not look after ourselves as well as we should do. For instance, we may skip meals or eat more processed foods than usual which, despite their convenience, have very little nutritional benefit. Stress also impacts digestion and your bodys absorption of vital nutrients.
Whats more, hair is a non-essential tissue, so it is often the first thing to suffer if your body is lacking in nutrients. Vitamin imbalances, iron deficiency, inadequate protein intake, and meals that contain too few calories, can all contribute to hair shedding.
Furthermore, stress affects our immune system, making us more susceptible to illness. Illnesses like the flu, high fevers and systemic upsets often trigger hair loss. For more information about diffuse hair shedding, please visit our section on Telogen Effluvium.
If you are worried about any form of hair loss, our Clinics in London and New York specialise in all aspects of hair and scalp health, and will be pleased to welcome you.
How Extreme Stress Causes Hair Loss
Indeed, science supports the notion that significant emotional stress may be linked to at least one type of hair loss: telogen effluvium. Here is what you need to know about this common type of stress-induced hair loss.
Excess hair shedding may be a sign of telogen effluvium.
Also Check: What Would Cause Hair Loss In A Woman
Effective Hair Loss Treatments
Hair loss caused by stress or hormonal changes, like pregnancy or menopause, may not require any treatment. Instead, the loss will likely stop on its own after the body adjusts.
Nutrient deficiencies also dont often require medical treatment beyond supplements, unless the deficiency is caused by an underlying health condition. And any medical conditions that lead to hair loss should be treated directly to address the full condition, not just its symptoms.
That said, there are a number of possible medications and treatments for hair loss caused by female-pattern baldness and other alopecias. You may need to use one or a combination of treatments for months or years to see the full results.
Recommended Reading: How Much Stress Do I Have
How To Treat Stress
Generally, the best way to improve stress induced hair loss is to indulge in ways of managing and reducing your stress and anxiety levels. We realise this can be a challenging ask, especially in todays busy world, but it is one of the most important ways to combat it. Remember, a balanced state of mind is beneficial for all aspects of your health. At Philip Kingsley, our holistic approach to hair care means we consider stress management an integral part of most hair loss treatment plans.
At the Philip Kingsley Clinics, our expert Trichologists meet many Clients suffering from stress-related hair loss. We often recommend and see good success rates as a result from the following techniques:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Exercise such as swimming and/or jogging
- You may also want to talk to your doctor about alternative treatments, such as acupuncture
In terms of diet, we recommend you do not skip meals. Try to eat at regular intervals, with healthy snacks in between as necessary. Well-formulated nutritional supplements can also be very helpful, by providing your body with a boost of essential vitamins and minerals. These may also aid in immune system function.
Don’t Miss: What’s The Best Vitamin For Hair Loss
What Are The Common Causes Of Hair Loss In Women
What causes hair loss?
- Hair style: Your style of hair can cause hair loss when your hair is arranged in ways that pull on your roots, like tight ponytails, braids, or corn rows. This type of hair loss is called traction alopecia. If hair follicles are damaged, the loss can be permanent.
- Vitamin deficiency.
- Over processed scalp hair .
What causes anagen effluvium hair loss?
- Toxic substances, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy and some medications. These cause sudden hair loss that can occur anywhere on your body. It happens to hair in the growth stage. Sometimes, this type of hair loss can be permanent if your hair follicles are damaged.
What causes telogen effluvium hair loss?
- Extreme physical stress or shock to your body: This causes temporary hair loss. This category includes events like losing a lot of weight, surgery, anemia, illness and having a baby.
- Extreme emotional stress: mental illness, the death of a loved one, etc.
- An abnormal thyroid.
- Medications and supplements: blood pressure medicines, gout medicines and high doses of Vitamin A.
- Hormone changes caused by pregnancy, menopause or birth control pills.
What causes FPHL ?
- Genes: Your familys genes can cause thinning of hair along the top of your head.
- Aging: Hormone changes as you age can cause balding.
- Menopause: This type of hair loss often gets worse when estrogen is lost during menopause.
There are also some conditions that affect hair loss:
Common Symptoms Of Stress
If youre experiencing hair loss due to stress, youll usually notice the classic symptoms of hair loss:
Extra hairs on your pillowcase and bedding
More stray hairs on your shower or bathroom floor
Lots of stray hairs in your shower drain catch
Less density and a thin look to your hair, especially under bright light
Hair loss is often subtle, meaning you might not notice it day to day until you look at yourself in a mirror or see your hair in a photograph.
If youre worried that you might have hair loss due to stress, it may help to take regular photos of your hair to track any changes in thickness over time.
You can also try counting the hairs that you lose. Its normal to lose about 100 hairs per day. If you have telogen effluvium, you may lose an average of about 300, making it easy to detect a change in your hair shedding.
Recommended Reading: Is Hair Loss Treatment Covered By Insurance