What Can I Do About Traction Alopecia
To protect your hair from traction alopecia and prevent further damage:
- Ask your stylist to create looser braids or dreadlocks.
- If you have braids, remove them after three months.
- If you wear a weave or hair extensions, remove them after eight weeks.
- If you have relaxed or dyed hair, make sure these treatments are applied by a professional. If you still notice breakage or hair shedding, avoid chemical treatments completely.
- Minimize heat styling, including hair dryers, flat irons and curling irons. These wear out the hair and can lead to major hair loss.
Style Your Hair Right
Hair stylists are a great resource for help for hair loss in women. A new haircut or hairstyle may be just what you need to make your hair appear fuller. Ask your stylist for advice about getting a shorter cut, parting your hair in a different location, or adding curls or waves to add volume to your hair. Products for hair loss in women include using styling products designed for thin hair. Some products are added to the roots while hair is damp before blowing dry. Some cosmetic products can help disguise the appearance of bald spots. Keratin fiber hair cosmetics have a static charge that makes hair appear fuller than it is. Ask your stylist or dermatologist for recommendations about the products and strategies that will work best for you.
How Is Hair Loss In Women Treated What Medicines Or Supplements May Help
Treatment depends on the cause of your hair loss.
- In cases where the loss is due to stress or hormone changes like pregnancy, there might be no treatment needed. The hair loss will stop after a period of time.
- In cases of hair loss being due to hair styling practices, like tight braids or ponytails or certain chemicals, treatment means not doing the things that caused the damage.
- In cases due to nutritional deficiencies, you might be told to take supplements. For instance, you might be told to take a multivitamin and three to five milligrams of biotin daily.
- Minoxidil is approved for treating FPHL. The 2% or 5% solution can be purchased in stores. However, you have to follow directions exactly and use the product indefinitely. Dont use this product if youre pregnant, if you plan to get pregnant, or if youre breastfeeding.
- The HairMax Lasercomb® low light laser is approved by the US FDA to treat FPHL. Another FDA-approved laser product is the Theradome LH80 PRO® helmet and low light laser helmets and caps.
Other medications that have been studied, but not approved, for hair loss in women include:
- Spironolactone and other anti-androgens.
- Other light treatments.
It is important to note that premenopausal women should not take medications for hair loss treatment without using contraception. Many drugs, including minoxidil and finasteride, are not safe for pregnant women or women who want to get pregnant.
You May Like: Does Nicotine Gum Cause Hair Loss
What Are The Myths About Hair Loss
Myths about hair loss are widespread. Nothing in the following list is true:
- Youre losing hair because you shampoo it too much, or because youve colored it or gotten a perm.
- Dandruff causes permanent hair loss in women.
- Stress causes permanent hair loss in women.
- If you shave your head, your hair will grow back twice as thick.
- If you stand on your head youll increase circulation, stimulating hair growth.
- If you brush your hair 100 strokes a day that will make your hair healthier.
- Hats and wigs cause hair loss in women.
- Hair loss only affects intellectual women.
Is Hair Loss Normal
We all lose hair. Some hair loss is perfectly normal, as hair falls out after it completes the 2 to 6 year growth phase. You may notice loose hairs that have fallen out on your clothes or in your comb or hairbrush. The average person loses about 50 to 100 hairs per day. This is normal. What is not normal? Excessive hair loss in women may be apparent by the following: If your hair starts to fall out in clumps, especially when you brush or comb it or are in the shower, you should see your doctor. If you notice that you can see larger areas of your scalp or that your hair is thinning, see your dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment of your hair loss condition.
Read Also: What To Do If Hair Is Thinning
Treatment For Thinning Hair
Description Neofollics treatment for thinning hair
The treatment for thinning hair is for everyone who wants to prevent thinning of the hair and improve the overall hair condition. The Neofollics treatment for thinning hair contains a powerful combination of the Neofollics Shampoo and the Neofollics Tablets.
How the Neofollics treatment for thinning hair
The Neofollics Shampoo is applied directly to the scalp by the fingertips. Here the shampoo is gently massaged and distributed. The shampoo provides rich nutrients to the scalp that are absorbed by the hair follicles.
The Neofollics Tablets are taken 3 times a day, after each meal. The Tablets contain DHT-inhibitors and vitamins and minerals that support the hairgrowth from within.
This combination will provide the hair follicles with the nutrients it needs to develop healthy hair growth.
The clinical test shows that the use of the shampoo in combination with the tablets leads to a decrease in hair lossand promote hair growth.
Contents Neofollics treatment for thinning hair
The Neofollics Travel Kit contains 250 ml of the Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo and the 100 Neofollics Hair Growth Supporting Tablets. This treatment is sufficient for 1-2 months. This depends on the frequency of use and the length and thickness of the hair.
For who is the treatment for thinning hair?
Suitable product with
- Hair loss during menopause
The experiences with the Neofollics treatment for thinning hair
Beware Of Big Promises
There are numerous devices and products that are marketed as effective hair loss treatments, but many of them do not work. Beware of all of the false advertising associated with these products. If a cure for hair loss in women sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Before-and-after pictures may have been doctored to be misleading. How do you know if a hair loss treatment really works? Ask your dermatologist about any treatment you are considering. Look on the FDA and Federal Trade Commission websites to search for approved medical devices and drugs.
Recommended Reading: How To Reduce Hair Loss Post Pregnancy
Preventing Hair Loss: Over
The simplest solution is to start using 5 percent minoxidil, which is available without a prescription, says Bruce. The trade name is Rogaine, but there are also generic versions available. This treatment is effective in about two out of three people who use it, she says.
Compliance can be an issue, because you have to use it every day to retain the benefits, she says. There are medications marketed to both men and women, but women can use the mens formulation and it is often less expensive.
Oral prescription drugs have been shown to help with female pattern hair loss. These drugs have been approved for use in other conditions, but are used by doctors off-label for FPHL, according to the American Academy of Dermatology Association .
Spironolactone, a blood pressure medication that is a diuretic can prevent hair loss from worsening and restore hair growth, according to the AAD. Other drugs block the effects of circulating androgens or lower androgen levels.
These oral medications should not be used by women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, according to the AAD.
Treatments For Hair Thinning That May Actually Work
Want to do something about your thinning hair? The first thing you should do is talk to a dermatologist or trichologist. They can figure out whatâs causing your hair loss, and they can recommend treatments that might be right for you. They may suggest options including:
1. Minoxidil . This medication is a foam or a liquid that you put on your scalp. You can buy it over the counter without a prescription. You may have to use it for several months before your hair starts to thicken. If you do regrow hair, youâll lose it again if you stop taking minoxidil.
2. Finasteride . This prescription medication is a pill you take by mouth. You may have to take finasteride for months before you see results, and youâll lose new hair if you stop taking it.
3. Microneedling. A device with hundreds of tiny needles that you use on your scalp may help hair grow, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. The site says research suggests that microneedling may work better if you use it along with another hair loss treatment. You can buy one of these devices without a prescription, but talk to a dermatologist first. They can let you know if itâs safe for you, and they can recommend a specific microneedling device.
5. Low-level laser therapy. The American Academy of Dermatology says research suggests that this scalp treatment may help the following conditions:
- Male-pattern hair loss
- Hair loss from chemotherapy
- Healing and hair growth following a hair transplant
Don’t Miss: Can Liver Problems Cause Hair Loss
Ingredients That Combat Thinning Hair
Whatever treatment for thinning hair you decide on will be based on your own special requirements. Botanicals such as licorice root and saw palmetto block the formation of DHT or the hormone responsible for hair loss in most cases. These ingredients then are good to have in products that treat hair loss and thinning. Also zinc supplementation is helpful in producing healthier hair.
Determine what type of product is perfect for you by browsing online. The aforementioned information can help you decide.
Managing Major Hair Loss
There are many things you can do to disguise sudden hair loss in women that is severe. You can use a hat, scarf, or bandana to cover your head. If you have bald areas, consider getting a weave or concealing the bald area with a hairpiece. Wigs can be very natural looking. They fit so well you can even wear them while you are working out at the gym or swimming. If hair loss causes severe distress and it is affecting your self-esteem or ability to carry out daily activities, seek the help of a therapist.
Also Check: Can Estrogen Supplements Help With Hair Loss
Types Of Womens Hair Loss
Before we get into specific treatment options for hair loss, its important to explain how and why female hair loss happens in the first place.
Contrary to popular belief, theres no single condition thats referred to as hair loss.
Instead, a variety of different issues may cause you to shed hair, from genetic factors to physical damage to your hair follicles, scalp inflammation and others.
If youre experiencing hair loss and want to stop it from getting worse, its important to be able to identify its cause.
This is because different types of hair loss often require different treatments.
For example, hair loss thats caused by stress usually wont respond to a medication thats used to treat hair loss caused by androgenic hormones.
Weve listed the most common types of womens hair loss below, along with the key symptoms of each type of hair loss.
What Is The Relationship Between Hair Loss In Women And Menopause
During menopause, you might see one of two things happen with your hair. You might start growing hair where you didnt before. Or, you might see the hair you have start to thin. One cause may be changing levels of hormones during menopause. Estrogen and progesterone levels fall, meaning that the effects of the androgens, male hormones, are increased.
During and after menopause, hair might become finer because hair follicles shrink. Hair grows more slowly and falls out more easily in these cases.
Your healthcare provider will do a thorough examination and take a detailed history to help you deal with changes in hair growth. You may be directed to have your iron levels or thyroid hormone levels tested. Your medications might be changed if what you take is found to affect hair loss or growth.
Also Check: How To Treat Dry Thin Frizzy Hair
A Thinning Hair Treatment Shampoo For Fine Hair
A treatment for thinning hair that has better than average reviews is Therapy-G Antioxidant Shampoo for Thinning or Fine Hair. The shampoo, with the patented ingredient Tryptobond Guard, protects the hair from sun damage and the stress of styling. In addition, the shampoo is made to wash away the build-up of sebum from the scalp and inhibit DHT for maximum hair growth. The botanicals and nutrients in the shampoo are specially formulated for fine and thinning hair.
What Are The Cycles Of Hair Growth
Hair goes through three cycles:
- The anagen phase can last from two years to eight years. This phase generally refers to about 85% to 90% of the hair on your head.
- The catagen phase is the time that hair follicles shrink and takes about two to three weeks.
- The telogen phase takes about two to four months. At the end of this phase, the hair falls out.
Your shorter hairs like eyelashes, arm and leg hair and eyebrows have a short anagen phase about one month. Your scalp hair can last up to six years or even longer.
Read Also: Does Head And Shoulders Cause Hair Loss
Shea Moisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
- Price: $
Shea Moisture hair products are often touted for their powerful ingredients. The main ingredient of this shampoo is castor oil, which contains ricinoleic acid, a fatty acid with anti-inflammatory properties.
The shampoo also contains shea butter to hydrate, soften, and protect from breakage and damage. Its ideal for chemically-treated hair and seals the hair cuticle for enhanced smoothness and shine. Peppermint stimulates and invigorates the scalp, while apple cider vinegar clarifies.
This shampoo has an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Of the 4 percent negative reviews, most customers warn against doctored, diluted products that came from fake sellers, so be careful when purchasing online.
Vegamour Gro Hair Serum
- Price: $$$
According to the companys clinical trials, the product can increase the appearance of hair density by up to 52 percent and reduce signs of shedding by up to 76 percent. The product website states that you can expect fuller-looking hair in as little as 90 days, with best results at 120 days.
Overall, the serum receives a 4.4 out of 5 stars with over 2,300 reviews. Most of the reviews are glowing, while many of the 1-star reviews simply say the product didnt work.
Read Also: What Do Celebrities Do For Hair Loss