Other Female Hair Loss Causes
There are many hair loss causes in women such as having a baby, having PCOS, using hair spray or gel can also cause hair loss because it causes breakage and causes your hair follicles to be clogged which can cause hair loss.
Using hot heating tools such as blow dryers, hot rollers, curling irons, flat irons on a daily bases can cause dry hair loss breakage and color fade.
Bleaching your hair can cause your hair to become very brittle due to the bleach eating your hair into a fragile state.
How Much Hair Should You Lose Per Day
Estimates vary as to how much hair loss is normal and not a sign of male pattern baldness . However, most sources agree that shedding between 50 and 150 hairs per day puts someone in the normal range.
For example, the American Academy of Dermatology states that its normal to shed between 50 and 100 hairs per day. Other sources state a larger range in a 2009 review, researchers concluded that anywhere from 10 to 250 hairs is a fairly normal estimate for daily shedding.
While 100 hairs might sound like a lot to lose, its a relatively small percentage of your total hair count. The average person has about 100,000 hair follicles in total, meaning that a daily loss of 100 hair strands accounts for around 0.1 percent of your total hair count.
This hair loss is a totally normal and natural part of your hairs life cycle. Assuming your follicles arent affected by male pattern baldness, every strand of hair you shed should be replaced by a new one as the follicle moves through its life cycle .
If you style your hair, you might lose slightly more than your peers. This is particularly common in women, of whom about 40 percent might experience some degree of excessive hair shedding as a result of things like brushing and using styling products.
Although the study above focuses on women, the same rules apply to men. If you style your hair aggressively or brush often, you might lose a few extra hairs per day.
More hair… there are treatmetns for that
What Causes Normal Hair Fall
Losing around 50-100 strands of hair everyday is completely normal. To understand the cause of this, we need to get into the cycle of hair growth . Your hair grows in three phases:
1. Anagen – In this phase, hair begins to grow from the roots and usually lasts for 3-7 years.
2. Catagen – The hair enters a transitional phase where the hair growth slows down. This lasts for 2-4 months.
3. Telogen – Old hair falls out and new hair strands start growing. This phase lasts for about 3 months.
Did You Know?
- Healthy adults have 80,000 to 1,20,00 hair strands on their head. On any given day 5-10% of your hair is in the telogen phase and hence you observe hair fall.
Read Also: Does Rogaine Prevent Hair Loss
Causes Of Permanent Hair Loss
Hormonal imbalances before, during and after menopause can lead to more permanent hair loss, Dr. Simpson says.
Female pattern baldness is largely genetic, affecting hair along the top of a womans head. This typically begins when estrogen levels drop.
A scalp injury that causes scarring can also cause permanent hair loss, she says.
How Much Hair Can Fall Out While Washing Hair
As mentioned above, every person loses 50 to 100 hairs per day on average. However, it depends on the length and thickness of the hair. Those who have short and thin hair may experience comparatively less hair fall. At the same time, people who have long and thick hair may see about 150 to 200 hair strands fall while washing their hair.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Hair Loss In Teenage Guys
I’m A Sleep Expert And This Is Why You Feel Tired All The Time
Consultant Dr Adam Friedmann said there are a number of indicators of hair loss other than your usual handful.
This includes patches of hair loss, itchiness or redness on the scalp and hair loss on other parts of the body, such as the eyebrows.
You may also notice dramatically more hair gathering in the shower, on the brush or on your pillow.
Dr Friedmann said: The general trigger for someone to see a dermatologist will be when their condition is starting to interfere with their quality of life.
The psychological and social impact of hair loss in adulthood can be profound.
The degree of psychological stress caused by alopecia is usually related to the extent of alopecia and the ease with which the condition can be covered or hidden.
The most important part of treatment is to make the correct diagnosis and there is nobody more qualified than a consultant dermatologist.
So, forget the wonder creams and supposed miracle shampoos, visit a dermatologist to discover the actual cause of your hair loss and whether its treatable.
How To Reduce Hair Shedding
Cut down on washing and conditioning if you can. Instead aim for one to three days a week. Dr. Bergfeld also recommends using a wide tooth comb to help tame your locks. Using a bristle brush or small toothed comb can cause breakage and pull out more hair.
Hair loss can also be a sign of trauma like pulling and yanking a brush through it or constantly wearing a tight ponytail. If you can, try to leave your hair down as much as possible, avoid touching it too much and dont use rubber hair ties.
And when it comes to styling heat is bad. Limit blow drying, curling and flat iron use. If you cant live without these styling tools, use a thermal spray to coat the fibers in the hair to help protect it. Sun can also damage hair so opt for a hat when its sunny and youll be outdoors.
Recommended Reading: How To Stop Thinning Hair In Females Naturally
Hair Fall While Combing Or Brushing
If you notice hair fall while brushing, it may leave you perplexed. However, this is the hair that has already fallen out of the follicles. The hair brushing simply separates this hair from the rest of your hair. It is a normal phenomenon.
If you notice unusual clumps of hair falling out while brushing, consult your doctor.
Study Examines Normal Hair Loss In Men Without Evidence Of Baldness
- JAMA and Archives Journals
- Performing a standardized 60-second hair count appears to be a reliable method for the assessment of hair shedding, according to a report in Archives of Dermatology.
Performing a standardized 60-second hair count appears to be a reliable method for the assessment of hair shedding, according to a new report.
“Currently, there is no widely accepted or standard method for assessing the number of hairs shed daily,” according to background information in the article. The widely held belief that it is normal to shed 100 hairs per day is based on the assumption that the average scalp contains 100,000 hairs, 10 percent of which are in the telogen phase. Although this idea is prevalent, it has not been scientifically validated and does not indicate whether shedding remains constant with age or if it is similar between men and women.
Carina A. Wasko, M.D., of Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, and colleagues studied hair loss in 60 healthy men without evidence of alopecia . All participants were given identical combs and instructions to wash hair with the same brand of shampoo for three consecutive mornings. On the fourth day, they were asked to comb hair forward for 60 seconds over a towel or pillowcase of contrasting color before shampooing. The men combed their hair this way and then counted hairs shed for three consecutive days. This procedure was repeated in eligible participants six months later.
You May Like: Can Trt Cause Hair Loss
How Your Hair Grows
Understanding hair growth cycles can shed some light on the process of hair loss and shedding.
The hair follicle cycles through four different growth phases: the anagen phase, catagen phase, telogen phase, and exogen phase. The different hairs on your head are at different stages of their lifespan at any given time.5 Heres what happens in each phase:
How Many Hairs Should You Lose A Day
Its easy to panic after noticing a large clump of hair strands on your pillow, in the shower drain or elsewhere in your home.
While shedding some amount of hair is normal, shedding an abnormally large amount of hairs during your sleep or after you wash your hair could indicate that youre going through the early stages of male pattern baldness.
On the other hand, its often easy to misinterpret normal, healthy hair loss as a warning sign of permanent hair loss.
Below, weve explained how many hairs you should lose over the course of a typical day. Weve also explained how hair loss works, from the natural life cycle your hairs go through to how your hair starts to behave if youre prone to genetic/androgenic male pattern baldness.
Recommended Reading: Why Does Lupus Cause Hair Loss
How To Maintain Healthy Hair
- Take supplements: the deficiency of various nutrients in your body can cause hair fall. Consult your dermatologist to identify the deficient nutrients and take supplements accordingly. Taking a multivitamin and biotin daily to boost your hair health.
- Nourish your scalp: for good hair health, you must keep your scalp nourished and hydrated. Our Back To Your Roots hair mask is a great product to nourish your hair from root to tip. With potent ingredients like coconut oil, reetha and turmeric, it delivers a super dose of vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, amino acids and antioxidants to your hair follicles and promotes healthy hair growth.
Dandruff Or Scalp Psoriasis
When the skin on the scalp is inflamed and itchy, its obviously tempting to scratch it. But that may cause your hair to shed more than usual.
Dandruff is the most easily treated cause of hair loss, Dr. Fusco says, because you can treat it with over-the-counter products, like a shampoo containing zinc pyrithione or exfoliating ingredients such as the classic Head & Shoulders Classic or Oribe Serene Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo . “Consistency is the trick,” Dr. Fusco says, so it’s important to find a shampoo and conditioner you like enough to use regularly.
But other conditions can also cause itchiness and scalp flaking, including seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis . Treating these issues may take more time and effort than dandruff, so its important to check in with a dermatologist if you think you may be dealing with one of these conditions.
Recommended Reading: What Can You Do If Your Hair Is Thinning
What Is Hair Loss
- Nutritional imbalance: oftentimes, a poor diet is responsible for nutritional imbalance. Deficiency of essential nutrients like vitamins B3, vitamin D, iron, proteins and fats can lead to severe hair loss. Maintain a healthy diet by eating fresh fruit and vegetables every day. You should also add nuts and seeds to your diet to boost hair growth. Avoid over processed and unhealthy food.
- Heredity: some people can experience hereditary hair loss. If you cant find any visible reason for your hair loss, your genetic composition might be responsible.
- Reaction to certain drugs or treatments: some drugs can disrupt your hair growth cycle and prevent hair from growing. Treatments like chemotherapy can also cause hair loss.
- Over styling with heat: excessive exposure to heat can dehydrate your hair. The heat can also alter the internal protein structure of hair and cause breakage. To prevent this, minimize heat styling and use heat protectant products.
Hair Shedding Versus Hair Loss
If you notice more than 100 strands falling out of your head everyday, you may experience hair shedding. Hair shedding is different from permanent hair loss. Hair shedding can be fixed once you’ve identified the triggers or causes like
- Birth control pills
- Recovery from an illness or a surgery
After the body has adjusted from such stressful conditions, you may notice the hair fall getting under control.
Medical conditions like thyroid, hormonal changes in menopause and cancer can also lead to excessive hair loss. Androgenetic alopecia and nutritional deficiencies may also cause excessive hair loss.
If you notice bald spots, patches and clumps of hair falling out, seek medical help immediately. Male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness is usually permanent and cannot be reversed. But there are ways you can slow down the hair shedding.
Also Check: How To Treat Hair Loss Due To Medication
Is It Possible To Know If Im Losing Too Much Hair
Yes, it is. We often use the pull test to know the level of hair loss.
Simply run your fingers on the clean and dry hair. And when you reach the ends, gently tug it. If you will have more than two or three strands of the hair then you could be at the first or third phase of the cycle.
If you, however, have more than 10 strands shedding off of your 100 stands, you are experiencing a massive loss and should consult with the doctor.
If you are balding and experiencing full body hair loss as well, you should seek consultation with your doctor.
Is It Normal To Lose Hair
I know you can answer this by yourself after reading the subtopics above, right? While we all love healthy, voluminous and thick hair, this is not always the case. We experience different phases of the hair cycle at different times.
So, you will experience more shedding when you are at the 4th phase of the hair cycle. Its okay for you to loose100 strands in a day. But its not okay for you to lose a whole chunk of hair every time you brush or wash the hair.
Don’t Miss: Can You Prevent Genetic Hair Loss
Identifying Imbalances In Dosha Levels
- When Vata dosha aggravates, it is indicated by dry and frizzy hair with split ends. Your scalp gets dehydrated and hair becomes brittle and lustreless. Eventually, your hair breaks or becomes very thin and falls out in clumps.
- When Pitta dosha aggravates, it is indicated by scalp inflammation and premature greying of your hair. You will also undergo short-temper, anxiety, and stress when Pitta dosha spikes up. It causes severe hair fall, which leads to baldness over time.
- When Kapha dosha aggravates, it is indicated by excessive oiliness on your scalp and hair. You may also have itchy and oily dandruff associated with scalp acne. Hair loss can be the result.
Sometimes, more than one dosha can be in an elevated state, which can lead to compound damage on your hair’s healthy growth and cause hair fall. You need to understand your underlying dosha imbalances before treating your hair loss.
Other signs that indicate abnormal hair fall and hair loss may include the following:
- Hair starts thinning gradually on top of the head .
- Circular or patchy bald spots start occurring in the areas of the scalp, beard or eyebrows.
- Hair loosens up suddenly and falls out in clumps.
- One may experience temporary hair loss during treatments like chemotherapy for cancer.
- Skin diseases like ringworm, psoriasis, etc. cause patches of scaling over the scalp. It leads to the swelling of hair follicles and eventually hair loss.