What Questions Should I Ask My Healthcare Provider
- What is the cause of my hair loss?
- How many strands of hair am I losing per day?
- What type of hair loss do I have?
- Will my hair loss be permanent?
- Whats the best treatment for me?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Hair loss may cause you distress whether it happens because of genetics, a disease, or even stress. Know that there are some treatments you can try, and expert dermatologists are there to help you. Your hair loss may be able to be reversed. See your healthcare provider as soon as you notice something wrong because the sooner you start treatment, the better.
Wigs Hair Pieces Or Hair Transplantation
Cosmetics such as hair sprays or hair colouring products, wigs and hair pieces can be effective to hide area with hair thinning. Hair transplantation has become more popular but not everyone is suitable for this procedure and it is expensive. Talk to your doctor to find out whether these treatments are suitable for you.
The Ministry of Health also provides a wig and hairpieces subsidy. Read more about the wigs and hair pieces subsidy to find out if you are eligible.
How Can Hair Loss In Women Be Prevented
Preventing hair loss is not possible when it is due to disease, aging, heredity or physical stressors like injuries. You can prevent hair loss caused by caustic chemicals or tight hairstyles by avoiding them. You might be able to prevent some hair loss by eating a healthy diet that provides necessary nutrients in terms of vitamins, minerals and protein. You can stop smoking.
Also Check: How To Treat Hypothyroidism Hair Loss
How Is Hair Loss In Women Treated What Medicines Or Supplements May Help
Treatment depends on the cause of your hair loss.
- In cases where the loss is due to stress or hormone changes like pregnancy, there might be no treatment needed. The hair loss will stop after a period of time.
- In cases of hair loss being due to hair styling practices, like tight braids or ponytails or certain chemicals, treatment means not doing the things that caused the damage.
- In cases due to nutritional deficiencies, you might be told to take supplements. For instance, you might be told to take a multivitamin and three to five milligrams of biotin daily.
- Minoxidil is approved for treating FPHL. The 2% or 5% solution can be purchased in stores. However, you have to follow directions exactly and use the product indefinitely. Dont use this product if youre pregnant, if you plan to get pregnant, or if youre breastfeeding.
- The HairMax Lasercomb® low light laser is approved by the US FDA to treat FPHL. Another FDA-approved laser product is the Theradome LH80 PRO® helmet and low light laser helmets and caps.
Other medications that have been studied, but not approved, for hair loss in women include:
- Spironolactone and other anti-androgens.
- Other light treatments.
It is important to note that premenopausal women should not take medications for hair loss treatment without using contraception. Many drugs, including minoxidil and finasteride, are not safe for pregnant women or women who want to get pregnant.
Why Natural Remedies Work Vs Pharmaceutical Or Chemically Created Drugs
There is a lot of talk about natural methods for helping a condition, as well as pharmaceutical or chemical methods of helping a condition. We feel this topic needs to be understood, if you are to progress in your treatments, and better understand how to prevent hair fall naturally for male, and also females you need to understand the chemical aspects of this too.
Ultimately, we have always used nature to create chemicals that we use in pharmaceutical companies.
So even drugs today, are re-created from nature and there are many reasons for this sometimes the ingredients need an extra attribute to be medicinal, but mostly, because of the fact that you cannot put a patient on a herb or natural product and this is why, you have never seen big studies done on herbs and natural methods they do exist, except they are secret and are deleted after research is done, and then research is directed towards creating an artificial version of that, to be able to turn it into a business.
Does this mean natural methods are always better?
No it means they have the potential to be more powerful because it is the synergy of ingredients in herbs, that create the most powerful medicinal effect, only if used correctly and this is why you need to carry out a regime, as mentioned above, to get the best results for hair growth, in men, or women.
Top Natural Products you should Stay Away from
Don’t Miss: Does Nicotine Gum Cause Hair Loss
Avoid The Man Bun And Other Tight Hairstyles
Be careful if you are a fan of tight hairstyles such as man buns. According to Tiffany Masiello-Helt, a cosmetologist at Precision, a clinic out of Ohio, these hairstyles can result in a condition known as traction alopecia which is a hair loss condition that occurs when your hair is under extreme tension, creating a constant pulling which inevitably damages the hair follicles. It may not seem important when youre younger, but your choice of hairstyle could determine whether you hair sticks around later in life.
These beauty trends should have never happened.
How To Prevent Hair Loss After Pregnancy
Many women experience dehydration, fatigue, stress, and falling estrogen levels as their body adjusts to life after pregnancy. This causes increased sensitivity in hair follicles, which can lead to a period of increased hair loss. Some of this hair loss is often related to the stress and exhaustion of having a baby. This condition is temporary and should resolve within a year after the pregnancy has ended.
You can try to minimize hair loss after pregnancy by continuing to take your prenatal vitamins if you are breastfeeding, eating a healthy diet, and avoiding tight hairstyles that pull hair away from the scalp. Dermatologists recommend using lightweight shampoos and conditioners and seeing a stylist to make hair loss appear less obvious until your hair shedding slows down.
Don’t Miss: Can Certain Foods Cause Hair Loss
How Will A Healthcare Provider Diagnose Hair Loss In Women What Tests Are Done
The tests performed to diagnose hair loss in women can be simple or complicated:
- Gently pulling on your hair to see how many hairs come out.
- Blood tests. These check for vitamin and mineral levels and hormone levels .
- Scalp examination under a microscope and trichoscopy.
- Scalp biopsy to remove and examine a very small piece of scalp skin.
Can Certain Hairstyles Or Treatments Cause Hair Loss
Yes. If you wear pigtails or cornrows or use tight hair rollers, the pull on your hair can cause a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. If the pulling is stopped before scarring of the scalp develops, your hair will grow back normally. However, scarring can cause permanent hair loss. Hot oil hair treatments or chemicals used in permanents may cause inflammation of the hair follicle. This can result in scarring and hair loss.
Read Also: What To Eat For Thinning Hair
At What Age Can Men Start To Go Bald
As we have already mentioned, signs of male pattern baldness can start to set in before you have even reached your 21st birthday, if you are particularly unlucky. At the point of reaching puberty, your body will start to produce androgens which are essentially your sex hormones.
According to the Healthline, here are some common male pattern baldness statistics:
- Around 25 percent of men that have hereditary male pattern baldness will begin to lose their hair before the age of 21.
- Before reaching the age of 35, approximately 66 percent of men will have experienced at least some degree of hair loss symptoms.
- Before reaching the age of 50, approximately 85 percent of men will have noticeably thinner hair.
For those who are already predisposed to male pattern baldness due to genetics, these hormones will behave differently as they can interact with your genes which affects the size of your hair follicles. As they miniaturize, your hair will fall out and your hairline will recede.
These normal hairs are then replaced by smaller, practically invisible, non-pigmented hairs that create a sort of fuzz that you are left with all over your scalp. Eventually, even these will fall out as the process continues to occur until you are completely bald and hairless.
Use A Shampoo Thats Mild And Suited For Your Hair
The purpose of shampoo is to cleanse your hair of dirt and excess oil. But many commercial shampoos contain harsh ingredients. After just one use, they can strip your hair of the natural oil and fatty acids that make it strong and supple. Read the ingredients of your shampoo and purchase one thats as close to all-natural as possible. Try switching up products if youve been losing excess hair.
Read Also: How To Thicken Mens Thin Hair
Increase The Consumption Of Biotin Rich Foods
In addition to iron, biotin can also be useful if you are attempting to treat early onset hair loss with a more natural type of remedy. Like iron, the best way to increase your natural biotin levels is to eat foods that contain higher amounts of vitamin B7.
There is pretty much no downside to this, as biotin can also be incredibly good for your skin. At least if you do go bald, you will have a soft-skinned, healthy, hairless head to show off.
You will naturally consume biotin through a lot of common foods that you probably already include in your diet, but to increase the amount your body is getting, you should pay attention to the following foods which contain particularly high quantities of vitamin B7:
- Egg yolks
It is harder to be deficient in biotin because it is so common in the foods that most people will eat as part of their regular diet, but you should be making sure that you hit your Daily Value which is usually around 30 mcg per day. If you are not, start shopping for the above!
Female Pattern Hair Loss
Women with hereditary baldness rarely develop bald patches. Instead, you experience a general thinning of their hair, especially over the top of your head or crown, while maintaining a frontal hairline.
See your GP or seek medical advice if:
Read Also: How To Hide Hair Loss Female
Try Not To Stress Too Much
Okay, so this one is easier said than done, but there has been a lot of research to suggest that stress can actually be one of the leading causes of hair loss, especially in males.
This could be because you are going through a bit of a rough patch, such as having troubles at work or if your home life is becoming increasingly stressful. Whatever the cause, several studies have shown that stress causes hair loss, so it is important to try and avoid it.
Of course, it is not always easy to just ignore the stressful things that may be going on in our life we cannot always control them but there are ways that you can manage your stress.
The CDC has produced a list of ways to cope with stress that you can access, and it includes some of the following methods for managing your stress levels:
- Take a break from social media, and if you need to, even from reading, watching, or listening to the news. Although information is good, it can be overwhelming at times.
- Take care of yourself, and not just in a self-care kind of way , but by eating healthily, exercising, and trying to get plenty of sleep.
- Try meditation or simply take time for your inner self by practicing deep breathing or stretching. Yoga can be a great way to incorporate this time into your daily life.
- Allow yourself to unwind by doing activities that you find joy in.
- Connect with your friends and family or even new people.
- Take a step back from alcohol and drugs, as these can create problems in your life.
Apply An Avocado Hair Mask
Avocados are rich in vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids that nourish the hair. When used as a hair mask, avocados can help in deep conditioning your hair and thus preventing hair damage and breakage.
How to use:
- Mix half an avocado with one egg yolk to form a smooth paste, and add 1 tbsp of shea butter to the mix. Apply the paste to damp hair and scalp. Massage the scalp for a few minutes. Rinse your hair after 20 minutes and shampoo as usual. Repeat this remedy twice a month.
- Alternatively, mix one avocado with 1 tbsp of honey and ½ tbsp of coconut oil to form a paste. Apply it to the length of your hair, avoiding the roots. Rinse your hair after 15 minutes.
Read Also: What Shampoo Ingredients Cause Hair Loss
Home Remedies For Hair Fall For Men And Women
1. Taoist soap: The process which makes hair fall happen, is inflammation on the scalp. If you stop inflammation, you stop hair loss. The Taoist soap, which you can buy online , can help with hair thinning out and falling in men and women because it works by reducing inflammation in the scalp, and roots of the hair follicles. The hair follicles stop becoming inflamed and can start producing hair again. This soap is designed for scalp and skin, and can make your skin and scalp very healthy, and in turn, hair growth on the scalp is of better quality it is better to use this product in conjunction with a regime .
A good video to show you scalp massage is as follows she also explains further on why scalp massage is so vital to any hair growth regime:
3. Liver Cleanse: This is common in many people over 30 years of age. This is because enough time has passed, where your body has accumulated hormone residue inside the liver, which did not get removed properly. This can be cleaned and taken care of, by taking Stinging Nettle Leaf extract everyday. This is very cheap, and very effective. A bonus will be that this also brightens the skin and complexion in a very healthy and natural way.
Another alternative is to consume chickpeas which are also a good source of protein although this is not ideal, but if you cannot consume beef, this is the only other option.