What Steps Can I Take To Prevent Or Slow Hair Loss
Unfortunately, certain types of hair loss are genetic, and very little can be done to prevent them. Genetic types of hair loss include alopecia areata and female pattern hair loss.
But other types of hair loss can be brought on by stress and a poor diet. Do your best to eat a balanced diet, and find ways to take care of your mental health.
For added benefit, stay up to date with your routine checkups. Anemia, low levels of vitamin D and abnormal thyroid hormones can all affect the health of your hair. Simple bloodwork from your primary care physician can determine if these conditions are contributing to your hair loss.
Black women in particular are prone to a type of hair loss called traction alopecia, which is caused by heat, chemicals and tight styles that pull at the hair root, including some braids, dreadlocks, extensions and weaves.
What Causes Thinning Hair
There are several reasons why hair loss occurs. A good portion of hair loss can come from genetics or age. However, age is not always a factor in all cases of hair loss. The saying age aint nothing but a number totally applies here. Unfortunately, thinning hair can hit at just about any age.
- Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation
- Certain medications/supplements
- Medical conditions such as anemia or alopecia areata
Stress factors can be difficult to pinpoint and even more difficult to dial down. Here are a few tips to help alleviate added stress:
- Set aside time away from social media and your phone
- Find a relaxing show to watch, book to read, or a hobby to work on in your spare time
- Discover healthy recipes and delve into meal prep or simply improving upon your cooking skills. Healthy meals can definitely improve both your health and overall mood, creating a less stressful environment
- If you still find you are struggling with relaxation and stress, try looking into CBD oil or CBD capsules to help with added anxiety
How To Regrow Thinning Hair Naturally In 3 Easy Ways
If youve been wondering about how to regrow thinning hair, the root of the problem may be your scalp. Heat and humidity affect the health of the scalp and can lead to halted growth and weakened strands, says trichologist Susan Roberts-Cooper of évolis hair care. Thats why, with spring and summers heat upon us, we sought to figure out the best way to regrow thinning hair and even how to regrow thinning hair naturally and discovered these expert-backed tips.
Also Check: What Is A Good Shampoo For Thin Oily Hair
What Does Thinning Hair Look Like
Hair loss can affect men of all ages. As such, its important to know the signs of thinning hair so that you can tackle the problem as it develops. Hair loss in men typically begins around the forehead and on top of the head. Therefore, many men experience a receding hairline as part of the early stages of their hair loss. To determine whether your hairline is receding, try comparing your current hair to a photo from two years ago. Thinning hair on top of the head, on the other hand, can be identified by regularly parting your hair down the middle and seeing how much scalp is revealed.
Things To Stop Doing If You Have Thin Hair
- by jomol
Not everyone thinks that they have the hair of their dreams! Pollution, hormonal changes, wrong haircare products, excessive heat styling can damage hair and make hair thin and brittle. If you have fine and thin hair, then here are 6 things to stop doing if you have thin hair.
1. Avoid Heat Styling on a Daily Basis: Using hot tools on a regular basis is not good for any hair type, especially if you have thin hair. But people with thin should avoid too many blow dries and also straightening too much. This will make your hair look thinner than what it is.
2. Applying Oil-Based Pomade or Gel-Based Spray: The more you use oil based or gel-based sprays in your hair, your tresses will stick together giving your hair a thinner appearance. You can use a texturizing spray instead of any of these two options.
3. Too Much Oil: When you have thin hair, you cannot make it thick by applying oil constantly. If you do not remove the oil properly from the hair, then you can get dandruff and end up losing more hair. Make sure you oil with only a small amount, and only once a week. Applying too much oil is not going to make your hair extra thick instantly. Apply oil
4. Resort To Hair Growth pills: This is not exactly a hair care product but people do take pills for various hair issues. Hair growth pills will not magically make your hair thick and may have many side effects. In fact, check out these 10 Everyday Ingredients to Get Thicker and Dense Hair.
Don’t Miss: How To Make My Hair Stop Thinning
How To Protect Manage And Treat Thinning Hair:
You likely dont need to wash your hair every day. In fact, Samantha DelaFuente, a stylist at Marie Robinson Salons in New York and Miami, tells SELF that she recommends washing only two or three times a week. Dont be afraid of dirty hair, she says.
And dermatologists agree: Washing too often strips your hair of necessary oils, and washing infrequently can leave hair dull and limp, especially if you overuse dry shampoo, Dr. Bridges says. If you have natural hair, which tends to be drier and more prone to breakage, clean it even less frequently, Dr. Khetarpal says.
Moisturizing shampoos formulated without sulfateschemicals in shampoos that help clean but can also be drying on sensitive or dry scalpsare a safe bet for everyone. In particular, celebrity stylist Tym Wallace tells SELF he recommends Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo .
Conditioner gives your hair shine and reduces static electricity, the AAD explains, which is why it improves the look and feel of dull or damaged hair. Apply to the ends of the hair and work your way up, DelaFuente says. A little goes a long way the more conditioner you use, the flatter your hair will be.
Remove tangles with a wide-tooth comb and rinse with cool water, which closes the cuticle and makes the hair shiny, Dr. Bridges explains.
After shampooing and conditioning, try using a leave-in product, like a conditioner or detangler, which will boost moisture and provide heat protection before styling.
Shampoos For Hair Loss
Shampoos that moisturize the scalp can create a healthy environment for hair regrowth. Anti-dandruff shampoos like Head & Shoulders and Dove Dermacare Scalp contain zinc pyrithione , an ingredient that removes dead skin cells that could be preventing growth. Plus, all of that itching and scratching from a dry scalp can lead to excess shedding.
Whats more, hair thinning can also stem from a hormone called DHT . DHT signals hairs to shrink and become vellus hairs , says Caroling Chang, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at Rhode Island Hospital and member of the Prevention Medical Review Board. It does this by changing the hair cycles and causing a shortening of the growth phase and increase in the resting phase, she explains. In this case, consider a DHT-blocking shampoo like Alterna Haircare.
Don’t Miss: Can Otezla Cause Hair Loss
At Home You Can Adopt Some Home Remedies Like
- An amla and lime juice mix. Apply a smooth mix of amla powder and lime juice on the scalp and hair. Leave until it dries. Wash and condition normally. Use this once a week.
- Egg yolk mask: Wish an egg yolk well. Apply and scalp and leave for 30 minutes. Wash with strong shampoo and conditioner . the proteins peptides in egg help with hair loss. You can use this once a week.
- Massaging your scalp with warm coconut oil/ green tea once a week also helps in scalp stimulation and prevents hair fall.
- Make a hair mask using ½ cup of coconut milk and 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Massage this mix on your scalp starting from roots and going to the ends. Cover the hair with a shower cap for about 15 mins. Shampoo normally.
- A vitamin E hair mask using 2 vitamin E capsules, 1-1 teaspoon of almond and coconut oil, and a few drops of essential oil will help nourish the hair and reduce breakage.
- There are other things to do at home too such as not washing your hair too often, keeping your scalp sweat free, avoid using hair dryers and limit hair colouring. Hair thinning can be successful covered and treated and all you need to do is to take care of your hair and follow the dermatologists advice.
Check Medications With Your Doctor
Some medicines for conditions like heart disease or those used to lower lipids can affect your hair. Talk to your doctor about if any of the medications you take interfere with hair growth or loss, and ask for advice on how to help counteract negative effects. Some of these medicines can cause shedding of finer fibers, Dr. Bergfeld says. Also, when women stop hormone replacement medication, they should expect a fair amount of hair loss.
Theres no one who has the hair at 60 or 70 that they had at 15, Dr. Bergfeld says. Thats why its important to take care of your hair as you age.
Recommended Reading: Is Rogaine Good For Hair Loss
What Can I Do About Traction Alopecia
To protect your hair from traction alopecia and prevent further damage:
- Ask your stylist to create looser braids or dreadlocks.
- If you have braids, remove them after three months.
- If you wear a weave or hair extensions, remove them after eight weeks.
- If you have relaxed or dyed hair, make sure these treatments are applied by a professional. If you still notice breakage or hair shedding, avoid chemical treatments completely.
- Minimize heat styling, including hair dryers, flat irons and curling irons. These wear out the hair and can lead to major hair loss.
Conventional Treatment For Thinning Hair
Conventional treatments for thinning hair include medications and surgery.
When hair is caused by an underlying disease, conventional medicine likely includes drugs like prednisone to reduce inflammation and suppress the immune system. Common side effects of prednisone include confusion, headache, restlessness, nausea, vomiting, thinning skin, acne, sleep problems and weight gain.
There are also two drugs on the market today that are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat pattern baldness or thinning. The first one is minoxidil, commonly known commercially as Rogaine, and it can be used by both men and women. You may experience hair regrowth or a decreased rate of hair loss, but the growth is not permanent and will stop if you stop using it. Some common side effects may include severe scalp irritation, undesirable growth of facial hair, chest pain, rapid heart rate and more.
Another conventional option in pill form is called finasteride. Again, you need to keep taking it to retain benefits. Additionally, women who are or may be pregnant need to avoid touching crushed or broken tablets. Side effects may include impotence, loss of interest in sex, trouble having an orgasm, abnormal ejaculation, swelling in your hands or feet, feeling faint,headache, runny nose, and skin rash.
Precautions Regarding Natural Treatments for Thinning Hair
You May Like: How Much Is Hair Loss Treatment
Jawed Habib Tips: Easy Ways To Style Thin Hair
- 31 Dec 2021, 11:24 IST
Styling hair for people with thin hair is not easy. The biggest challenge people face while styling their thin hair is showing off their scalp and to avoid that, they usually choose to keep things simple by not styling their hair at all. Yet, the problems do not end there. Along with not being able to style their hair, those with thin hair face some additional challenges too, like using some hair care products can make their hair look flat.
Other people usually believe that thin hair is simple to style. However, this is not the case. Fine hair is difficult to style since it has a tendency to flatten. It’s not only tough to style thin hair, but it’s also difficult to care for and maintain them.
However, If you are also one of those who is facing these problems then you should follow some special tips for your hair styling suggested by hair expert Jawed Habib.
Tips For Hair Loss Or Thinning
- Use gentle hair products such as baby shampoos.
- Don’t use perms or hair colours on thinning hair colours may not take well and perms can damage the hair.
- Use a soft baby brush and comb thinning hair gently.
- Avoid using hair dryers, curling tongs, hair straighteners and curlers on thinning hair and pat your hair dry after washing.
- If your scalp flakes or itches this means it is dry use oil or moisturiser, not dandruff shampoo.
- Protect your scalp by covering your head in the sun.
Also Check: How To Treat Thinning Hair Male
Ways To Hide Thinning Hair In Women
When was the first time you noticed you were losing your hair? Was it a wider-than-normal hair part? A space at the crown? Or just a general lack of fullness youve noticed over time? No matter how you noticed your thinning hair, the realization was probably pretty nerve-wracking. You start to wonder what you can do to get those lush locks back. Before you start Googling hair transplants, weve rallied up several A++ tips to help you hide any thinning areas, along with some reasons behind why hair loss occurs.
Nutrients And Supplements For Hair Loss
Eating a nutrient-rich diet can keep your hair healthy, too. And whilehair supplements wont cause hair growth, they can help your strands grow stronger. The combination of fish protein, vitamin C, zinc, biotin, and niacin in Viviscal supplements encourages the body to produce healthier, thicker strands, says Joshua Zeichner, MD, director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
Nutrafol is another hair supplement to consider, according to Dendy Engelman, MD, board-certified dermatologic surgeon at Medical Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery in New York City. This uses highly concentrated botanicals to address every stage of the growth cycle. It has excellent clinical studies to support its efficacy. I recommend it daily to my patients,she recently told Prevention.
OLLY Hair, Skin & Nails supplements also contain a blend of biotin, vitamin C, E, and keratin protein to help you fight free radicals that damage hair follicles. You can also take a biotin supplement alone, which helps the body break down fats and carbohydrates to grow stronger strands.
You May Like: Is Keratin Good For Thin Hair